What is a Lolly Lounge?
A Lolly Lounge or ”Suikerhuisie” is a standard house or flat that is being used as drug and prostitution den by drug syndicates. Sex, drugs, rape and emotional abuse. This is what Lolly Lounges became known for.
It is called Lolly Lounge because the glass pipe or bottle that is used to smoke drugs like crystal meth and TIK, looks like a lollipop.
The house usually has a caretaker in charge. Many are filthy with blocked toilets, no running water and floors littered with pipes, paper and dagga. Bedrooms often has just a bed in them.
Characteristics of Lolly Lounge
- Clothes are strewn all over the room.
- None of these “homes” have a television or any furniture in the lounge.
- Another common sight in each of these homes is people fast asleep at midday.
- These lolly lounges have a foul smell and a lot of of tik packets (small packets where the dagga is packed).
- The lolly lounges look normal on the outside but the one common thing about them is the broken window.
- Most of the young people who frequent these places are loafers and do not go to work. The school-going kids skip lessons for week
What happens in a Lolly Lounge?
Girls as young as 10 years old are lured into these houses with free fixes of drugs. School-going youth start experimenting with weed (zol), but shortly then they move on to harder drugs like cocaine, heroin and crystal meth (TIK). Dealers often supply free fixes till they are hooked – then the girls must pay their own way.
Many stumble onto Lolly Lounges by change – just for one hit. They don’t mean to go forever. But once there, they lose track of time in a haze of drugs, rape and sexual abuse. They are used to trap men to spend more money on drugs through prostitution. One girl who went missing for a week was found in a Lolly Lounge, naked in the corner of a room, drugged up, beaten, raped and crying…
What are the dangers of a Lolly Lounge in a community?
It brings crime into the heart of communities: the house next door now sells drugs, prostitution and harbors crime syndicate members.
It brings with it human misery in the form of addiction, violence and abuse. Human and sex trafficking becomes part of the daily life and children disappear in broad daylight.
For the young addicts life changes to hell:
- They do not complete their schooling.
- The innocence of their childhood is stolen by men are allowed to do anything with and to girls.
- Girls are forced to take part in mass orgies.
- Families report them missing while they are trapped inside these dens.
- Girls are not only abused in every possible way, they also have a great risk to contract STD’s like HIV and fall pregnant.
- They are forced to sell themselves to one man for one hit – that equals R25.
- Some of the men are grandfathers of 60 years old.
Where are Lolly Lounges found?
Lolly Lounges is widely spread in South Africa, especially in some communities in the Western Cape and Gauteng.
They are found in townships such as Soweto, Crown Gardens, Fordsburg, Florida, Bosmont, Springs, Ennerdale and Westbury. They are also found on in many communities on the Cape Flats.
When we allow criminals to roam the neighbourhood, we surrender control and they will just become more demanding.