“Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only with what you are expecting to give — which is everything.”
Love & relationships are elements that give the most meaning to our existence. Most of us have experienced a failed relationship, or struggle in some of our relationships.
Good news! It is possible to find love, make relationships last, make friends, over-come shyness, master the skills that make them flourish, although it takes effort and perseverance
It is not always the big blowout that ends a relationship. There are numerous little things that can slowly eat away at your relationship or marriage and ruin it.
Answers to the Relationship Quiz questions:
1. You need to be happy on your own, if you want to be happy in a relationship.
2. Being in a bad relationship is unhealthy and dispiriting.
3. Instant sexual attraction and lasting love does not necessarily go hand-in-hand. Emotions change and deepen over time – friends can fall in love.
4. Men and women experience the same feelings – it is human. They just express it differently.
5. Love is rarely static. It evolves, changes, grows or dies.
6. Sexual passion can become stronger over time, because emotions influences passion more than hormones.
7. You can change only yourself, not anyone else. People can change, but only if they want to.
8. You can always change the way you feel, think and act.
9. Conflict is part of any relationship – you just have to learn to handle it constructively.
10. Different interests can bring interesting dimensions into relationships that makes you more attractive to another person.
11. You always have to communicate clearly to your partner what you are thinking or feeling.
12. Children bring new challenges and responsibilities into a relationship. It makes relationships more complicated. It is not a decision to be taken lightly.
13. 100% Certainty about anything in life is a childlike illusion. Life is uncertain. It is okay to have doubts when making big decisions. Rather ask yourself: Is my partner someone with whom I can learn about love?
14. True love has nothing to do with longing or drama that is usually accompanied by feelings of butterflies. Real love is two people standing face-to-face willing to be vulnerable, honest and committed.
15. In adolescent love people live in each others back pockets. In mature love, you value and protect each others separateness, while sharing a third space between you two as a couple when you are together in love.
16. Engagement, not avoidance, is a better conflict resolution. Suppressed conflict makes people more stressed and unhappy, than dealing with it. Communicating your feelings positively and constructively is always better than staying silent.
10 Things that will kill a relationship or marriage:
- Holding grudges
- Being too critical
- Not taking care of your appearance
- Taking your partner for granted
- Always passing the blame
- Not spending quality time together
- Pretending to listen
- Laughing at partner’s expense
- Trying to change your partner
- Making your partner your entire life.
Remember – every person wants to
Matter to someone
Be cared about
Be believed in
Be encouraged & assured
Questions we can help with:
• Am I in love?
• Is it ok to be jealous?
• Can you make someone love you?
• How do I survive my first fight?
• What to do if your parents do not approve of the person you love?
• Is teen love true love?
• Is your boyfriend too old for you?
• Are you being pressured to do stuff that makes you uncomfortable?
• My boy/girlfriend cheated on me. Should I forgive him/her?
• My best friend is now dating my ex. How do I cope with it?
Test yourself on your relationship knowledge:
– Do the RELATIONSHIP QUIZ
If you think you might be in an abusive relationship:
– Do the Abuse Quiz or the Teen dating violence Quiz
Or chat to a facilitator on the Mobieg LIVE CHAT. It is free and anonymous. Get help for troubled relationships.
Book a Counselling Session
You can book individual counselling sessions with the following therapists: