Johannesburg / Centurion / Skype
- Psychometric Evaluation
- Life Coaching/coaching
- Business Performance Enhancement
- Sport performance enhancement
- Drug Addiction Assessment and intervention
- Career Assessment
- General scholastic Assessment
- Subject choice Assessment
- Study Methods
- Therapy and Counselling (Group & Individual) (Children, Adolescents, Adults)
Note: A counselling session can be booked directly on our website, but the time of the session will be confirmed by Laken via email.
“Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass but about learning to dance in the rain” – Vivian Green
A quality based therapeutic relationship is central to the therapeutic process. The fundamental principles upon which this relationship is based is that of unconditional positive regard, accurate empathy and genuiness. The client’s own potentials are the power centre of effective therapy. Therapy assists clients to activate those self-healing potentials by assisting clients to develop an understanding of themselves, through liberating their own resources and by managing their lives more effectively. Furthermore, different clients have different needs. There are many “brands” of psychotherapy but I begin by talking with the client to determine, in a collaborative way, the type of approach that best fits the client’s needs. As a psychologist, I aim to help clients identify, develop and use resources that will make them more effective agents of change both within the sessions and within their everyday lives. “When you can’t change the direction of the wind, adjust your sails”- H. Jackson Brown JR
Laken Folster is a counselling psychologist.
- Individual therapy (Child, adolescent, adult)
- Group Therapy (Child, adolescent, adult)
- Play Therapy
- Couples therapy
- Performance development (Sport)
- Assessment (Scholastic, career, subject choice, personal growth, MMCI, MMPI)
- Outpatient Drug Treatment (Adolescent/Adult) (Assessment, individual sessions, family sessions)
- Group based Adventure Therapy
- Group Psycho education/workshops
Adults and Adolescents:
Presenting complaints that may be addressed in therapy include:
- Relationship Difficulties
- Parental Guidance
- Behavioural Problems
- Drug abuse
- Adjustment Difficulties
- Academic difficulties (study skills)
- Self-Growth and exploration (Self-esteem, self-motivation, decision making, personality development)
- Eating and sleeping Problems
- Stress Management
- Performance development (Sport)
When conducting sessions with children, I use Play therapy techniques. Play therapy is a form of psychotherapy that uses play to communicate with and assist children, to prevent or resolve psycho-social challenges. Various forms of ‘play’ are utilized in therapy to help the child express what is troubling them when they do not have the verbal language to do so. Although everyone benefits, play therapy is especially appropriate for children ages 3 through 12 years old. Teenagers and adults have also benefited from play techniques.
Possible outcomes of Play Therapy:
- Develop new and creative solutions to problems.
- Develop respect and acceptance of self and others.
- Learn to identify, experience and express emotion more effectively.
- Cultivate empathy and respect for the thoughts and feelings of others.
- Learn and apply new social skills.
- Develop self-efficacy and self-confidence.
- Self esteem
- CV and Interview skills
- Self-Growth and Basic therapeutic skills
- Leadership and team building
- Personality, leadership and conflict resolution workshop
- ‘Playing Sport for life’: Application of sport and exercise psychology principles in working with addiction
- Social skills training program (ages 6-12)
- Mindfulness Acceptance Commitment (MAC) Program: Playing netball for life
- Stress management seminar
- Relapse prevention plan
- Effective Study Methods
- Ethics board examination preparation workshop
- Opti-perform- Sport Psychology for optimal performance
Other workshops can be designed upon request.
* One-hour consultation for individuals at practice: R 810
* One-hour Skype/Face-time session for individuals: R 850
* Assessments is R 810 per 50 minutes (Variable: Please request a quote)
* Workshops (Depends on nature of workshops – please request a quote)
1. Skype – Laken Folster
2. 27 Albert Street, Irene, Centurion
3. 52 Kingfisher Drive, Fourways
4. Trinity Preparatory School, 23 Knoppiesdoring Street, Randpark Ridge
BA. University of Pretoria
BA. Hons UNISA
MA Psych (UP)
Registered counselling psychologist HPCSA (PS 0129054)
Registered Private Practitioner BHF (0594326)
- MA Counselling Psychology (UP)
- BA Hons Psychology (UNISA)
- BA Psychology (UP) (Cum Laude)
- Training and experience in various career-related, neurological, personality, scholastic, interest, emotional and drug assessments
- Split Key Drug Test
- 16PF5 accreditation
- MMPI-2 accreditation
- MCMI III accreditation
Registered with HPCSA (Accredited Psychologists) and accredited with all medical aids (BHF registration).