Adult basic education and training is the general conceptual foundation towards lifelong learning and development, comprising of knowledge, skills and attitudes required for social, economic and political participation and transformation applicable to a range of contexts. ABET is flexible, developmental and targeted at the specific needs of particular audiences and, ideally, provides access to nationally recognised certificates.
The concept of ABET is uniquely South African. In the English-speaking world, ABE means Adult Basic Education. South Africa added the T, for Training in the policy initiatives of the early 1990s. The adoption of ABET was hotly contested for a time by those who believed in the power of the alternative, non-formal approaches to adult education. The reasons for adopting the term fell into two main groups.
One of the deepest critical perceptions of education (including adult education) in South Africa, especially on the part of labour unions and business, was that education had little application in life and work, while training meant drilling in routine jobs with no attention to underlying knowledge and values. Adding the T showed a commitment to the integration of education and training into ABET.
ABET grew out of adult literacy work. The adoption of ABET rather than adult literacy work was the result of political struggle informed by research. In spite of fine achievements of adult literacy work in the struggle, literacy alone was not considered adequate to support real social transformation. ABET was meant to offer an appropriately adult route to a general education aimed at making a significant improvement in quality of life.
There are 4 main types of training centres for ABET learners:
2. Individual – Organisations specialising in providing ABET training for the individual
3. Business – Organisations specialising in providing ABET training for company employees
4. Skills Education Training Authorities (SETAs)
WHERE TO STUDY TO GET YOUR ADULT MATRIC?
Elroi Upgrading Academy offers Matric Rewrites and Upgrades Online or from one of our three Campuses: Ruimsig, Midrand and Pretoria.
• Online courses deliver the content with short video lectures and electronic exercises for endless practice.
• All our courses are designed not just as a repeat of Grade 12 but rather as a comprehensive coverage of all the grade 10-12 CAPS content (This is crucial for 2014 upgraders that have not done Gr10-12 CAPS content).
• Our teachers are qualified experienced upgrading educators with a passion that cares where you’ve come from and where you will be going.
• We now also offer online upgrading of Old Syllabus subjects and some of our campus courses can be offered in Afrikaans.
College of Supported Learning
If you don’t have matric, you can obtain a matric equivalent through this organisation.
MB Administration and Training Services
Be part of our fabulous and very effective Matriculation Diploma. Get your Matriculation done in no time.
Night School / Part Time Matric
Is a lack of a Senior Certificate / Grade 12 hampering promotion at work or your access to a University degree or a Diploma course?
1 year course for adults
Get your matric in one year (or even less) with part time.
Brainline – Matric for Adults
If you are over 18 and have a computer with Internet access, you can achieve your matric from Brainline within only two years!