Colleges South Africa

0

Colleges

TVET: Technical Vocational Education and Training courses are vocational or occupational by nature. The student receives education and training with a view towards a specific range of jobs or employment possibilities. Under certain conditions, some students may qualify for admission to a University of Technology to continue their studies at a higher level in the same field of study as they were studying at the TVET College. The colleges mainly offer courses on Levels 1 to 4 on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF).


FETThere are 50 registered and accredited public TVET Colleges in South Africa that operate on more than 264 campuses spread across the country’s rural and urban areas. Public TVET Colleges are established and operated under the Continuing Education and Training Act 16 of 2006 and resort under the Department of Higher Education and Training. The state subsidizes public TVET Colleges with approximately R 6 billion per year.

Public TVET Colleges offer an extensive range of courses/programmes developed to respond to employers’ scarce skills. Courses vary in duration from a short course of a few hours to formal diploma courses of three years. Naturally, the costs of the courses also vary considerably. Still, it is important to remember that the Department of Higher Education and Training courses are subsidized by 80% of the delivery cost. For the remaining 20% that the student would pay, many full bursaries are available.


List of Courses available at colleges:

Accounting Courses
Administration Courses
Beauty Therapy Courses
Bookkeeping Courses
Business Courses
Child Care Courses
CIMA Courses (management accountants)
Computer Courses
Creative Courses
Events Management Courses
Financial Management Courses
Forensic Science Courses
Graphic Design Courses
Hospitality Courses
HR Management Courses
Interior Decorating & Design Courses
Investigations Courses
Journalism Courses
Management Courses
Photography Courses
Police Training Courses
Project Management Courses
Radio & Sound Engineering Courses
Secretarial Courses
Small Business Management Courses
Sport and Fitness Courses
Technical Courses
Tourism Courses
Web Design Courses
Wedding Planning Courses
Writing Courses


Bursaries

Department of Higher Education and Training offers bursaries available for National Certificate Vocational courses and Report 191 (NATED or ‘N’) courses at public TVET Colleges to students who meet the criteria. These bursaries are not loans. The bursaries are administered by the National Student Financial Aid Service (NSFAS). Other bursaries are also available, which will vary from college to college. Prospective students should inquire at the college at which you plan to enrol as to what bursaries are available for the course you would like to study.

Department of Higher Education and Training, TVET College bursaries that the NSFAS administers are readily available, are subject to two important criteria.

  • Namely, the prospective student will be required to undergo a ‘means test’ that will indicate that the student really does need financial assistance and
  • secondly, that the student has a good academic performance record.

Prospective students who believe that they may meet these criteria should contact their nearest public TVET College. The college will provide application forms and oversee the application process.


Modes of Delivery

Various modes of delivery exist at the colleges, depending on the nature of the course. Some colleges also offer blended learning (e-learning) facilities for some course content. A number of the larger campuses have Open Learning Centres. Further information can be given by the college on this aspect when applying or enrolling for course admission.


Are you a graduate looking for an internship or work? Take a look at the job search engine:

Find a job

You can look at some options on www.gradx.net.


Get help

Helpline

You can chat with an online counsellor on our helpline: LIVE CHAT.

It is a text-based chat and you may remain anonymous.



Share.

Comments are closed.