Did you know:
- 0.3% of women in South Africa report gender-based violence to the police.
- Four women are killed by their partners in South Africa every day.
- The second most common cause of these deaths occurs when women decide to end their relationships.
- Sexual offences against women increased from 31 665 in 2015/16 to 70 813 in 2016/17.
- Domestic violence has the most repeat victims of any other crime in that a victim suffers 35 assaults on average before reporting it to the police the first time.
- South Africa’s female homicide rate is six times above the global average.
- South Africa has the highest level of adult per capita alcohol consumption in Africa. Alcohol abuse contributes to increased levels of both Gender-Based Violence and HIV.
- South Africa has an estimated 6,800,000 people living with HIV, making it one of the countries with the highest infection rates in the world.
- Over 41% of rapes reported in South Africa involve children under age 18.
Main image: Pixabay